Friday 29 July 2016

John Parr - St. Elmo's Fire (Man In Motion) (1984)



I never listened to the radio as a kid (or an adult), so a lot of the recognizable hits for me come from their use in TV and movies. This song, I first heard in the episode of the Simpsons where Homer and Lisa are in the car and Homer is listening to a right wing radio station and Lisa can't stand it. Homer says something along the lines of, "When you're driving, we'll listen to your radio station."

Cut to Lisa driving the car and homer looking concerned. But not because Lisa can't even see over the wheel. Because on her radio station, this song is playing. To which he blurts out, "I can't take this anymore, let's switch back!" Pure gold, Simpsons!

In any case, that led me to check the song out many years ago, and I have always really liked it, even if it drove Homer crazy. One of the reasons which, is because that bass line is pure FM! A fairly early example of an FM bass line, too, being from 1984. And let's hear it for those breathy, darn near screaming vocals.

I can't help but listen to this song and smile, party thanks to Simpsons, partly due to the bass and vocals.

No comments:

Post a Comment