Wednesday 27 July 2016

Michael Sembello - Angelina (1986)



I'll never forgive myself for not knowing the name of the musician who wrote maniac. As in, "She's a Maniac". When I actually took the time to listen to that particular song on it's own a year ago, not being used in a commercial or a TV show, I realized how damn good it was, and how synthy and energetic it was. And how good the vocals were, and that there was a ripping guitar solo.

I made it my mission to remember Michael Sembello's name, and to check out the rest of his library. I was pleasantly surprised with his follow up album to the one that had Maniac on it. Seeing as how it landed smack dab on the single year where FM became and phenomenon (1986), there is no surprise that it is loaded with a pretty gnarly FM bassline throughout.

It's also full of some fantastic and unique vocals. Dude can belt out some notes! And just like Maniac, they found the time to add a crushing a guitar solo as well.

Remember his name. Michael Sembello: A fantastic musician that helped make the 80s better than it would have been otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment